Saturday, July 26, 2008

The M and Rs.

It's been sometime now, that I noticed that not all Type Rs are Type Rs as much as not all M5s are the real McCoy. I've gotten used to the idea of hardcore Honda cultists replacing their silver Hs with the red emblem. The metal that embodies a racing dream.

What I thought strange was that I assumed the only barrier for enthusiasts to truly own a Type R is money since the Civic Type R in Malaysia is priced at a hefty RM199k+. Then I realize that it's not a question of not being able to afford the Civic Type R but it's all about propagating a belief. Some may snicker at these poor (or not) cultists who 'fake' their car - turning it into something it's not - but those who know will understand that it isn't all about owning the machine. It's about owning the philosophy.


And what I find even stranger is, you see the same phenomenon on the M series in particular the M5. Couple of times now I've seen the power plant bullet through the highway carrying an M5 badge leaving me behind gasping for breath in its dusty trail. Only to realise it's missing the other exhaust, some gills and the perforated brake discs. I knew it. It wasn't bulleting that fast after all. And hey, is that the M5 badge sitting on the wrong side of the rear?

So what is it about these Ms and Rs that got enthusiasts (the haves and have nots) willing to bear the disdain of those who do not understand the 'dream'? What is this power that performance badges command that got even those who can afford the 5 series to forge their ultimate driving machine? Well, they say imitation is the highest form of flattery. I guess the ultimate simply wasn't ultimate enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment