Sunday, May 25, 2008

What on earth...?

What prompts a brand to rip its values apart and fight on sheer naked cost?

"Just print out the confirmed booking from MAS and I will pay the difference. As for the sub-Zero Fare, which will be launched in the next few days, it will be cheaper than zero,” said Fernandes in an interview. - The Star, 6 May 08


I've always thought Tony was a brand man, I guess I thought wrong looking at how both Air Asia and MAS are taking the fight outside. I mean who could be benefiting from this? Firefly? This reminds me of the 3 year (or more maybe?) war waged in the mobile service playing field. It took everyone to bleed to stop the costly battle (yet celcos are still laughing to the bank, sigh, oh what margins!). Now, we're looking at another. Is there any other way Malaysian brands can offer value to consumers without having to cut each other's throat? Throwing zero cost products and services out like that is like throwing toys out of the playpen. Well, but then again, that's strictly from a business point of view. But as for being the consumer's voice and an avid traveller, I'd say, bring it on!! (I'm just glad I'm not the agency in charge).

No comments:

Post a Comment