Sunday, November 9, 2008

Another week, another brief.

Something landed on my table last week and looked pretty exciting. The 2009 KL Motorshow.

Truth be told, I vaguely remember attending KL Motorshow once when I was still in college. And honestly, I don't remember much. I remembered the venue though. It was PWTC and I can't believe that almost a decade had passed and it is STILL PWTC. I was there to check out the hall last week and pooooooooh! I definitely don't remember it being in that sort of condition. No offense to whomever is taking care of the venue or maintaining it, it was old, dusty and it stank of funny. And worse of all, if you do park at the car park, whatever you do, DO NOT LOOK UP. You have been warned.

The last motorshow I've attended is the one held in Tokyo last year which kinda blew me away. The magnitude of it was unbelievable and the thinking that went behind each booth design (especially the Japanese ones) was amazing. Needless to say, the scale of the budget escalates with the size. The amount of lighting, sorts of structures, LED screens, I wonder when we will catch up? I'm thinking about Paris Motorshow for next year since it's supposed to be the one that kickstarts the season. Oh boy, France!

Anyway, next year, we will be in charge of Honda's booth so I'm pretty excited. My first time strategizing for a motorshow. I'm always gamed for a first time anyway. If you don't do, you don't know how good or bad you will be anyway. If I suck at it, at least there's proof! So right now, I'm trying to get my thinking together, exploring possible ways to deliver the best visitor experience. I forsee many will be showcasing their Hybrid cars since it's almost like the next best thing since slice bread. I wonder what impact will it have on Malaysians? Would we care? Would it even change our thinking pattern much less our habit? I don't know and we shall see.

4 comments:

  1. around 1990s, BMW had actually made the 3 series car sync with a screen (rather large one!) so you can actually test drive it virtually indoors! that was in KL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. Simulations I think, are the closest to the real thing. A lot of car manufacturers now produce 'safety simulations' so that people can finally experience 'accidents' safely. That's quite a paradox isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think "simulations" was the word i was looking so hard for yesterday!

    "A lot of car manufacturers now produce 'safety simulations' so that people can finally experience 'accidents' safely. That's quite a paradox isn't it?" <--- like ABS in certain cars... ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I suppose. Or over/understeer or crash safety technology or perhaps, just perhaps, something which you DON'T EVER want to experience. Airbags :P

    ReplyDelete