Saturday, August 25, 2007

Facebook bollocks or none?

"Some 50 percent of workers are blocked from accessing Facebook by business owners worried about the site's impact on productivity and security." Marketing Vox, today.

I know some friends who are increasingly disconnected from their friends for not checking their Multiply and Friendster enough. In this age, whoever talks about issues and problems face-to-face anymore? Everyone is updating everyone else through their social networking sites. I didn't know one of my best friends' rabbit died until I read her blog. And appropriately, I sent my condolences to her in her comment form. We've never talked about it in real life. Ever. Not that it's a sensitive subject but it just didn't seem important enough that it should crop up in our conversations. Maybe people are learning how to segregate their live or problems or happiness? There's no science to determining what stays on the web and what doesn't which reminds me of a really cool website Adeline shared with me (while we're facebooking :) now, how can that be unproductive?)

Whenever and wherever we are connected, I believe there're two 'start-up' actions before we start browsing and combing through the internet for content. Checking emails and checking messages/updates on our social networks. It is inevitable for desk employees to do that if you ask me. But the question of reduced productivity is still valid although I may not fully agree. The extra half an hour used to check my wiring doesn't necessarily translate to an extra half hour of productivity. I could be hanging out near the coffee machine. I could be hanging out at the mamak. I could be distracting my colleagues. I could be using it for anything but work!

However, in this age of multitasking where people are amazingly able to complete more and more task in the same minute, allowing facebooking and the sorts at work seems like nothing more than mere quick exercise of the mind. Multitasking does not only confine to 'doing' but also exercising the attention of the mind. It should if anything, improve employees quick thinking.
There's no stopping technology although we can control it. Like how some employers are doing it. Rather, I'd use it to my work advantage instead of going against the current. I am thinking of creating a facebook for Sparks. For business networking, yea, but honestly. It's really to show off how many friends I have :) And that I can facebook during work as well!

Increase your knowledge: "Based on a popular college and high school Web site, the term "facebooking" has emerged as a verb to describe the activity of logging in to Facebook.com in order to create a profile, share personal information, and meet other members." Netlingo

2 comments:

  1. It really depends on the work on-hand. If the work requires intense concentration or work that must be accurate, then any distractions are not welcomed. It boils down to how we plan our day and what periods and time we allocate for networking. It is like taking a break from work but for how long.

    It is the same with the telephone. I think people do get worried if some one spends too much time on the phone. At least we can see what they are doing. With computers, we don't know if they are working or networking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you saw how i use Facebook, you would know i for fact that I can't get anything done when i'm on it. And it's not because i'm doing 'productive' activities either.

    With apps like 'X me' which you can integrate into your profile, hours can be spent exchanging pokes, pinches and tickles with friends. I can't believe people can actually get so hooked on something so childish as that. And find laugh out loud while doing it even!

    So if you see a grin on the face of an employee while at the computer, he/she definitely ain't doing work. Unless netWORKing counts..

    ReplyDelete