Monday, April 7, 2008

The all-new Altis.

Had some free time and went to Toyota showroom for a test drive on the all-new Altis. What struck me as odd initially was the endorsement by Orlando Bloom. I knew that the previous worldwide campaign endorser was Brad Pitt. Now it's Bloom. But why Bloom? Stylish?

The new model is definitely an M-size Camry. Even the salesperson comfirmed that, himself. I guess it's another case of instant gratification for those who aspire a Camry. They can now afford luxury on lesser investment. Honestly, the car did not create any deep impression on me, maybe it's because I've been seeing so many Camrys around already. So yes, in a way it was quite disappointing. And I'm not saying this simply because I work on Honda.

The interior cabin is nice though. The dashboard area and information display are both sleek and modern, far from the rubber dials you get from Vios (phew!). Unfortunately, these sophisticated looking buttons are only available for the 1.8s. It seems to have more thoughtfully design compartments compared to the previous model also. You'd probably spend the first month 'exploring' all these secret areas in your new car before really running it down.

Although it's now lenghtier and wider, it doesn't feel like I was drowning in all the extra space in the car. I'm not exactly tall so the power seat on the driver side for height adjustment is nice. Plus the four corner parking sensors since I'm quite blind. However, I don't like it when car manufacturer skim on things, because the power seat is only available on the driver side. It almost feels like it's modern but not quite there yet, you know?

The driving experience is really smooth due to the new power steering. The car literally glides on the road with seemingly very little effort. If you remember how Legolas is in Lord of the Rings, then you get the idea. It's... er, powerful, in its very own elf-ish sort of way. Whatever that means to you. Anyway, unfortunately when it comes to both real horsepower and produced torque, Civic still tops in terms of performance (comparing the 1.8s). So I'm thinking, this car will probably be sought after more by females? Because it's... 'gentler'? Hey that sounds just like Legolas! Now it's all beginning to make sense...

Overall, I think it is a pretty good car with a very comfortable and relaxed driving feel but for a segment of people who are seeking a totally different driving experience from a Civic. I guess it's really a question of whether you prefer to be the Elf. Or Aragorn :)

No comments:

Post a Comment