Thursday, June 26, 2008

BMW Gina.

A lot of auto forums are raving about BMW's break-all-rules philosophy about designing a car which defies rules. Any rules. The highly futuristic Gina.

People who know me well, will know that I am a young padawan of the beemer power and M5 is my Beanie (name of my current wheels) on steroids (someday). I've always felt that BMW's design philosophy, coming from the birthplace of Bauhaus, is the apex of design innovation. They are the Einsteins of machine on wheels and have been the driving force of shaping emotions. But this one...

I don't know what to feel about this one. I don't know. Is it by coincidence that it's named Gina and reminds me of a certain certain part of the female anatomy? Look, I tried being proper, professional and kept it scientific as much as possible but I just don't feel the design orgasm here. Maybe that's what they are attempting to do - mean machines are stereotyped to be muscular, tough, unbreakable, untouchable - and to breakaway from it all. And I mean ALL rules of how manly beemers are meant to be, they go for textile (hang on a minute, is that satin?), soft, smooth, flexible, tactile. And an opening right in the centre as if we don't know Gina is feminine enough. Maybe somethings are just meant to be what they truly are?

Oh, please bring back the M-series!

1 comment: