Thursday, March 24, 2011

What's in a meet-up?

I was really inspired by the recent SXSW festival in Austin. It was an annual gathering of music, film and digital enthusiasts. It was a glorious conglomeration of geeks. It was an intimate sharing of their latest projects, ideas and inspirations. It was what 'meet-ups' should be about.

Sigh. I was at the last Digital Wednesday organised by the MDA. I wish it was more of the above, and less on the extremely-exhausted topic of 'why marketers should go into social media'. I was in one of those meetings a year ago, and I listened to experts talked about the birth of social media. Fast forward a year, and I'm still listening to the same people but this time, questioning the death of social media, which very cheekily (though not unexpected), their answer was a unanimous NO. Social media is NOT dying. Ahem. I felt a little cheated.

But I have to admit, it was a good place to poach and be poached. A lot of sweet young things and a lot of old-hands, all looking for prospects. I wish I was a little hotter in the job market and a little more prominent in this glamorous industry. Then perhaps, I wouldn't have wasted my 50 bucks and got hitched instead. With a new job, I mean. Or otherwise. Either way, I would have still gained some kind of return of investment.

Anyway, I'm still hopeful for one day... we'll have a real platform for people to share and collaborate openly instead of a few minutes of beating around the bush followed by multiple rounds of drinks. Don't get me wrong, the drinks are important. But like how we've always propagated to clients. Owned media is important. Only one thing more important - Content.

Still, some just can't pay attention. Tsk tsk tsk.

No comments:

Post a Comment