Saturday, December 19, 2009

Know your GTi: Fuel consumption.

Obviously Ron 95 is out of the question.

So that leaves us with VPower and Ron 97.

A full 55l tank of VPower gives me about 560km on very careful driving (no hard acceleration, most of the time nothing over 100km/h). Funny thing is, VPower seemed to give a lot more boost when used in the City or Vios or even MyVi compared to the GTi. Somehow, it felt a little sluggish during pick up and the so-called extra power which I felt before seemed insignificant in the GTi. A friend of mine told me that VPower acts as a booster to vehicles with less than 1.6 or 1.8cc but makes no difference to a 2.0 (more over a turbocharged one). Hmm. I don't know how true this is, can anyone clarify? But the lag in power pick up is quite apparent until you hit a certain rpm of course then the GTi's natural instinct just takes over ;)

Ron 97 was surprisingly efficient with a more equal distribution of power during the entire acceleration process. More over, what was really neat is I could milk a cool 600km on a full tank! Again, that is if I am extra careful with my pedal force at all times. 600km is equivalent to me traveling from home to work and back for approximately 2 weeks (minus a day or two).

After the first week of good behavior, I still have about half a tank (300km) to go. But here's my real confession. I never did reach the 600 mark because I simply couldn't stay 'good' for two whole weeks. I couldn't resist the temptation of an open road at 2am getting to know some 'friendly' fellow drivers. But if I did, I'm pretty sure 600 can be achieved. Well, until I can truly stay off the metal for fourteen days, I'm pretty happy with a 560km mark.

1 comment:

  1. you can run on ron 95. i've switch to ron95 for almost 6 months and there's not much difference :)

    ReplyDelete